When you have braces, returning to your Coquitlam orthodontist periodically for adjustments is an important part of your treatment. Here's more on what to expect when you visit us for your adjustment appointments.
Orthodontic braces gradually and incrementally move your teeth into their desired positions. In order for your braces to do this, throughout your treatment they will need to be adjusted by your orthodontist at fairly frequent intervals.
This is what happens when you visit Austin Heights Orthodontics for an adjustment appointment:
- The orthodontic assistant will remove the elastics that hold your archwire on to your brackets.
- Your archwire will be removed.
- Your orthodontist will examine your teeth to assess how your treatment is going.
- Any broken pieces of your braces with be replaced.
- The new archwire and elastics will be put in place now. It's important to note that if this is your first adjustment appointment it can be a little painful, but future adjustments should be less uncomfortable.
- Let your orthodontist know if anything is poking or causing you discomfort, so that they can correct the issue right away.
- That's it! All you need to do now is book your next adjustment appointment.
It's not unusual to feel a little sore following your adjustment appointment, but it should wear off after a few days. If you're experiencing discomfort, try icing your face periodically, or take an over-the-counter painkiller, and stick to soft foods until your mouth is feeling better.