Cleaning your teeth properly becomes even more important than usual when you have braces. Fortunately, while you’ll have to take extra care, brushing your teeth with braces is quite easy… it just requires a little patience!
You’ll start by brushing your teeth the same way you did without braces. Here’s a refresher for how to do it with proper technique:
- Rinse your toothbrush and apply tooth paste.
- Position your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to the gums, and then to the tops and bottoms of your braces.
- Gently move the brush in short, circular strokes over your teeth and braces. Brush the fronts, backs and chewing surfaces of all your teeth.
- Brush your teeth thoroughly and methodically for at least two minutes: 30 seconds per “quadrant”.
- Remember to brush your tongue to remove bacteria and keep your breath fresh.
Next, use an interdental brush (you can get one from your orthodontist or local pharmacy) to brush between your archwires and teeth. Interdental brushes are shaped like a tiny bottle brush, making it easy to get into these hard to reach areas.
The video below offers a helpful demonstration of brushing with braces, and using an interdental brush.